Wednesday, November 18, 2009

a proud moment...



Two words: Parallel Parking. Yes, I know you just got a little nervous as you flashed back to drivers' ed and the infamous parallel parking test you were forced to complete as a young sixteen year old. Well, the nervous feeling only quadrupled when I arrived here in Philly. Parking is a nightmare, and EVERY parking spot requires the dreaded act of parallel parking. The streets are narrow and the native Philadelphians leave only inches between their car and yours; all these elements combine for a rather stressful experience to the naive city parker. In fact, my first night in Philly it took me 8 tries, a nice, big, black man giving me step-by-step instructions from the sidewalk, and my roommate backing me in, to successfully park in a tight little pocket on our street. Once I was in a spot I found myself avoiding all types of driving just so I didn't have to move my car, only to later attempt an awkward parallel park. I've never craved parking lots more than I do now. What a treat it is to pull in and park wherever and however you want! Suburbia, I thank you!

But they do say "practice makes perfect," and after 2 months in this concrete paradise I have improved. My heart no longer starts to race at the thought of fitting into space only inches bigger than my car; I have acclimated. It feels good; it feels real good. My skills are still mediocre at best, but I can nuzzle in with the best of em. But I'll be honest, I still love parking lots.

(Yes, that's my little Corolla parked Philly style. Impressed? I would be.)

5 comments:

Marybeth said...

I loath parallel parking. I am impressed with your skills though not surprised. After all, you are Danelle. You should consider fitting yourself with a new ostomy bag, great for class-time snacks.

Krista said...

I am VERY impressed. You have done a great job. How do you ever get out of a spot like that?

DaNeLLe said...

You wait for the other cars to move first :)

Alisa and Crowells said...

Very IMPRESSIVE!! That drawing is amazing--and your incredible parking skills of course! Kissing bumper-to-bumper in true Eastern fashion. :)

miffy said...

You are such a good writer! I love reading your blog and hearing about life in Philly!