Thursday, November 26, 2009

That should be ILLEGAL!



I am highly opposed to celebrating Christmas, or even thinking of Christmas, before Thanksgiving. It just doesn't seem right. That being said, you can imagine my annoyance with those November-1st-Christmas-music-ers and those that consume holiday beverages (aka Egg Nog) before the official season is upon us. Please, let me enjoy my apple cider and pumpkin flavored everything before I rush off into season stuffed with baked goods, peppermint, and parties.

I have remained strong and resisted such temptations...until tonight.

It has been years since I've had egg nog--YEARS! That egg nog experience was not pleasant, nor memorable, thus I have yet to consume that Christmas tradition since. In my mind egg nog was gross. In fact, I scoffed at friends for loving such a beverage (especially before Thanksgiving). However tonight I was stuck waiting in the car with some newly purchased egg nog (note: I was not the purchaser of said egg nog) and my mind began to wander. The curiosity to taste, again, this beloved drink began to work inside me and before I knew it I was sneaking a drink of that blasted egg nog...and you know what? IT WAS GOOD! Really good. Surprisingly good. Refreshingly good. Excitingly good. Before I knew it, I had well exceeded the suggested serving size of a 1/2 cup and I couldn't stop. That thick, creamy, flavorful beverage kept calling me back. Before I realized it my friend and I had finished off the jug! Yes, the jug! It was a small jug (a quart), but it was a jug nonetheless. In a moment of regret, I peered at the "Nutrition Facts" on the back to see what the damages were; that is where the devastation set in. It was the "servings per container" line that really did me in. It was 8!!! Eight servings in this little ol jug?!? You've got to be kidding me! I just drank 4 servings of egg nog without even a hesitation. A quick calculation left me even more shocked...180 calories and 4 grams of fat per serving...times that by four...and AGH! 720 calories and 32 grams of fat!!!! WHAT?!? I just drank a Big Mac and a half! 720 calories and 32 grams of fat is what an entire family in a third world country consumes in one day. How did I manage to do it in a few sips? How can they put that artery-clogging goodness in such an easily drinkable carton without a warning. Seriously that should be illegal!

4 comments:

Marybeth said...

My husband eats it on his cereal. Somehow his cholesterol remains perfect.

Alisa and Crowells said...

That is some pretty rich stuff! I can't drink it straight. I have to pour 2/3 milk to 1/3 eggnog. :)

brodie stacey allie said...

You crack me up. I am totally a November 1st xmas listener. Especially being away from family. For some reason that makes the holidays get here quicker and we get to see our family quicker. (totally my opinion.) Anyway, the Egg Nog is pure fat but pure goodness. If you want to cut some of the fat and calories just thin it with a little milk. That's what I and I dont feel so guilty and its just as good!

Katie said...

Cutting Eggnog is a sin (although probably not a cardinal one). It does NOT taste the same. I don't allow myself to drink eggnog until after Thanksgiving. Not because I am a Thanksgiving purist, but because then I only drink flavored heavy cream for one month of the year. And I don't let myself have ANY after Christmas day. Let's just say that Fabio is relieved that the day after Thanksgiving has come so he doesn't have to hear my yearnings in the grocery store anymore. He can just put it in the cart and watch me drink contentedly.